Pediatric Dentist in Houston, TX
At Hermann Park Smiles, we are concerned about dental care for patients of all ages, and baby teeth are just as important as permanent teeth. It’s never too early to start educating children about healthy dental care; it all starts with their first visit to the dentist.
The First Visit to the Dentist
A child’s first “regular” dental visit should be around six months of age, around the time they grow their first teeth. The first dental visit is usually short and serves more as a dental checkup/briefing. During this visit we will:
- Examine your child’s mouth, teeth, and gums
- Check to see if your child is in need of fluoride
- Educate you and your child about healthy dental care and good habits to practice
- Discuss negative dental habits in children to avoid like thumb sucking
Preventative Dental Care for Children
Preventative dental care in children is important because it will set the foundation for a lifetime of good oral health with the right continuous care.
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealants are clear or tooth-colored resin materials that are used to cover teeth to help protect them from decay and cavities. We offer dental sealants to our younger patients as a preventative method for early decay.
- Cavity Prevention: We offer thorough preventative cleanings and fluoride for children to eliminate and further protect the teeth from plaque and tartar that could otherwise cause damage to the teeth and gums.
If you have questions about our pediatric dentistry in Houston, Texas, we invite you to call (713) 522-1717 and speak with our team or schedule a time to meet with Dr. Sharel Sly and discuss your child’s oral care options.